Thursday, July 2, 2015

Trip to Kampala!

So, do you remember my first story?  Traveling in an old rugged bus on a bumpy road from Kampala (Central Uganda) to Gulu (Northern Uganda).  If you do, then let’s continue the adventure. So I wish that was my last trip on such a horrible road but unfortunately I had to use the same road back to  Kampala albeit this time on a comparatively better bus coupled with the excitement of going to Kampala (the city of good stuff ).  My consolation!  The innate excitement overshadowed the journey and fatigue- You can imagine!

Having lived in Accra Ghana, I was convinced I had been toughened enough to withstand the hardships of a city life-style, however my convictions changed when I got into Kampala. A look at the traffic situation in the capture below provides some perspective.
City of Kampala
This is just a tip of the iceberg. One can be static for about 25mins before any significant move.
While in traffic, I decided to make good use of my time capturing photographic images of some great moments.




While in Kampala, I also had the opportunity to attend a Leadership Training workshop facilitated by a team from Chick-Fil-A, USA. This training curriculum was developed by an industry leader in customer care, a $4.2Billion company, Chic-Fil-A, to train its business leaders. The team included several operators of multi-million dollar Chick-Fil-A businesses in the USA, known for their outstanding customer care.  I’m glad I attended!

Did you pay attention to the color arrangement of the footwear? Anyways, so that was the last day of the S.E.R.V.E leadership Training Program and my last day in Kampala before I travelled back to Gulu.

On my way back to Gulu - while driving to the bustop to catch the bus to Gulu, I captured this edifice.
This is the Queen Elizabeth Monument which was the first monument to be erected to show appreciation for Queen Elizabeth’s support to Uganda. All surrounding bypasses and roads are actually named after the Queen.  

Though exciting, my trip to Kampala was more business related but I look forward to more interesting captures the next time I’m there. Hopefully, I will have sometime for more fun (in the context of a tourist).

Before signing off, I want to give you a gist of my next blog.  I have found a Ugandan friend - my personal boda-boda (motorcycle) driver. Not only is he a bodaboda driver, he works as a transportation broker as well as a timber dealer. I’m sure I’ve got you thinking, how is this person able to manage three arduous jobs. Watch out for more about Eddie Okette, EO for short! For now I can say he’s been a very resourceful friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment