Thursday, July 16, 2015

Beatitudes of the Disabled

Posted by Rebecca Baylor

Adapted from Beatitudes of the Aged
By: Jacqueline Colaco
Blessed are they who do not shun me
Just because I have a disability
Blessed are they whose concern for me
Goes beyond pity and charity
Blessed are they who make me feel
That I should be given an equal deal
Blessed are they who think I should be
Given a chance to develop the skills in me
Blessed are they who encourage me
To overcome the embarrassment of disability
Blessed are they who don’t hide me away
Just because I am different from they
Blessed are they who because I am blind
Don’t also think I have no mind
Blessed are they who do not balk
When I dribble all over or struggle to talk
Blessed are they who are patient and kind
Knowing it takes time to work things in my mind
Blessed are they who looked away
When I was clumsy at mealtime today
Blessed are they who put themselves out
To include me too in what they’re about
Blessed are they who give me way (in a queue)
Knowing I can’t stand as long as they
Blessed are they with a cheery smile
Who stopped to chat for a little while
Blessed are they who see in me
A person of WORTH & ABILITY
Posted on behalf of Rebecca Baylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment