Sunday, June 14, 2015

Thousands of Experiences in the Country of a Thousand Hills

It was 5:30 pm on a regular day after work. The moto driver who provided daily transportation between home and office during the past month was driving me to a supermarket in downtown of Kigali. Another moto was catching up. The driver turned his head, winked at me while making a V sign with his fingers, and then drove away.

That’s usually the thing that makes my day, a simple smile that makes me feel warm inside. That reminded me of a conversation with a colleague at the company I am currently interning with.  On the first day at work, he introduced me pieces of Rwandan culture in which he said people are genuinely hospitable to each other, even more so to foreigners.  Local people see foreigners as guests who should be treated better.  That is also how Chinese people see foreigners.

That’s one of the factors that constantly grow my love for this territoriality small country in East Africa.  How time flies!  It has been an entire month since I set foot on this beautiful land of thousand hills.  It truly is. 


So many things happened within the month that built up the amazing and memorable experience.

Experience:

Like a celebrity or an alien?
This must not be new to foreigners who visit Rwanda. “Muzungu,” meaning “white people,” is the word local people, especially children, use to call foreigners when they see one. It usually goes with a long-time attentive stare and continuous follow around. I don’t remember that I have never been paid so much attention since I was born. It feels quite flattering, and sometimes overwhelming, especially when colleagues took me on field trips to rural areas. I was greeted all along the way, more than half an hour drive on moto, by children standing on the dirt roads, by women gathering crops and by men repairing roads. Sometimes, kids chased the moto, screaming “muzungu” while waving at me. The intensity almost convinced me that I am the first Chinese ever that has even been there or I am nothing they have seen before.  When walking in the village, I was surrounded by local people and was given a full body visual examination from head to toe.  From time to time, they talked to each other and laughed at intervals of stares. Sometimes I felt lost and just responded with a smile.

A month has passed.  I still receive the same amount of attention, but I have gradually gotten used to it.

Informal is the new normal!
The informal sector contributes about 55 per cent of Sub-Saharan Africa’s GDP and 80 percent of the labor force.  Nine in 10 rural and urban workers have informal jobs in Africa and most employees are women and youth.  Rwanda is an evident demonstration of the above statement.  Wherever I go, there are people carrying on their head a yellow water can, or a basket of vegetables, or fruits, or a pile of shirts for sale.  Some men take a plastic basket filled with bread or hard boiled eggs. There are also men selling self-made news digest collecting major news items from local newspapers.  Moto taxis seem to be the major transportation, shuttling to and fro on streets. The major transportation hub is crammed with private vans and buses vying with each other for passengers.  Agents of MTN, Tigo, and Airtel, major telecom companies in Africa, are lining up along major streets, selling phone credits to whoever pass by.
Streets are always busy. People seem to enjoy the hustle and bustle.

Fast and Furious!
For more than 20 years before coming to Rwanda, I had promised myself that I would never take motors as a way of commuting because, to me, the moment I am on a moto, I lose control of my life. I eat my words after I got to Kigali because of their cheap price, efficiency and easy access through traffic jams. Now moto becomes my only means of transport between home and office, restaurants and bars. I don’t have to wait for more than 2 minutes to get a moto. Wave, negotiate the price, put on the helmet, and hop on. Then the moto speeds off, so fast that my heartbeat raced three times faster with every passing meter. The good thing is that I can get to my destination without worrying about traffic. Moto drivers always find a way to weave recklessly among cars, buses and trucks running on narrow roads.

There were times that I enjoyed riding a moto. After several drinks at a bar, I felt like flying on a racing moto; when listening to music with strong beats, I feel like a really cool person.   

Fun stuff:

Rwanda bans lightweight plastic bags to protect environment. About one hour away from landing, flight attendant announced that all the plastic bags we had with us should be left on the plane before entering Rwanda. As a small country where environment matters particularly, policy is necessary and effective implementation is crucial.

Bromance is prevailing. Adult men holding hands or holding each other by waist while walking can be seen quite often in Kigali and rural areas. Colleagues told me that Rwandan people believe there are no homosexuals in their country and in their culture so it’s no problem for two adult men to do that. Holding hands is an expression of friendship. However, those who have been to other countries, such as South Africa, don’t think in that way any longer and could not bear the thought of taking another man’s hand.

Drinking matters. Drinking is an important part of Rwandan people’s life since history, for all walks of life. There are three major structures at the King’s Palace. One for receiving visitors and sleeping; another two for storing milk and beer. Commercials may be indicative of people’s life. Commercial posters or paintings are all over the country, whether it is in downtown or in villages where people don’t have access to light. Two types of commercial are there to be found: telecommunication and beer.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment